Got finals? If you’re currently in school, then of course you do. Final’s week can be the most stressful time of the year for students, with GPA’s hanging in the balance as warmer weather tempts you to abandon your books and go outside. Just hearing the term “finals” is enough to make your stomach drop and your forehead break out in a sweat. But before you become consumed by stress and start imagining every worse-case scenario, let’s help one another. At PiecesofThere, we’ve put together a list of great ways to de-stress and save your sanity during final’s week. It’s all about planning ahead, which is easier said than done when you’re already so busy with school, work, and a social life. But have no fear-let us do the work for you. Below are some fool-proof ways to decompress and beat end-of-semester anxiety. So take a look and cash in on any or all of these tips—we wish you all a week of success, productivity, and luck!
- Always ask for help if you need it. Don’t suffer in silence—if you’re unsure, get someone else to explain it to you! You can save yourself valuable time by just reaching out.
- Get started as early as possible. Plan out your study schedule, and make sure to include break time! Have a plan and stick to it!
- Avoid social media. Avoid facebook. Avoid tumblr. Avoid twitter. Use them only on your breaks.
- Music. Whatever kind it is you enjoy, take twenty minutes a day to just listen to music and do nothing else. Take this time to belt out your favorite song or dance like a lunatic and feel the stress deflating from your body. Let the music be your escape from reality and get lost in it.
- Exercise. This seems to be the first thing that gets cut from our schedules when life gets super busy. But getting active lets your brain take a break, lowers your blood pressure, and stabilizes your emotions. Let exercise release feel-good endorphins to boost your mood and re-energize you.
- Get in the kitchen. You can avoid eating last minute greasy, fatty foods that make you feel sluggish and unhealthy, while taking a study break and having fun. Cooking or baking can take your mind off of school and studying and provide you with a delicious end result!
- Sleep. It may feel like sleeping for 7-9 hours is a waste of valuable study time, but adequate sleep is important for your mind to retain what you just studied. Sleep is also the time where your body repairs itself so your mind can function clearly. So catch those z’s!
- Breathe. Use relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or yoga to calm your mind and body and remind yourself that you really can do this.
- Prepare your space and yourself. Clear your study space of all distractions. Load it up with highlighters, pens, notecards—anything you need to study your best. Stock up your fridge with healthy snacks to grab at a moment’s notice. Make your study space the most comfortable you can make it.
- Positive self talk. This is an important way to deal with stress that will help you turn negative thoughts into positive reinforcement. Change negative statements into positive statements. I.e., instead of saying, “I can’t handle this,” change it to “How can I handle this?” Changing the statement into a positive one will help you to calm down and drive your focus away from the stress.
At PiecesofThere, we have quite a few local products that can help you de-stress and stay calm. Take a peek below!
Nothing says relaxation like pampering yourself! After a calming bath or steamy shower, indulge yourself with our Georgia Peach Body Butter. The subtle peach and chamomile will transport your mind and body and be a welcome and deserving break from studying.